By Joni Lindquist
Ugh… many of you are probably groaning. You probably hear enough about goals at work. You may ask, “Do I really need to make goals to just have fun?” Maybe not. I know that in the “busy-ness” of life today, you may not have a lot of fun. At KHC Wealth Management, our philosophy of Making Life Count!®, living well today while planning for your future, encourages clients to have fun today. This isn’t about stuff – it’s about experiences.
We’ve all heard of bucket lists, and having “FUN” goals is very similar to that. One of my friends has a goal to travel to every state in the United States. Another had a goal to climb Macho Pichu (sounds dreadful to me) and did so last summer with her 19-year-old son. We have a client who wants to ride his bicycle on a “rails to trails” path in every state. A friend and her husband try to see every Oscar nominated movie prior to award night each year.
What intrigues me about some of these goals is how passionate people are about them. Some of these take years to accomplish. As a financial planner, I love to hear about and help clients achieve these feats. Yes, it’s important to help clients clarify life goals such as retirement, children’s education, and family support. But these fun goals are usually very meaningful to our clients as well.
What are your FUN goals? Some others we’ve heard:
- Travel to every continent
- Travel to the home of your ancestors and research the genealogy of your family
- See a major league baseball game in every ballpark in the U.S.
- Visit all the National Parks in the U.S.
- Visit all the Civil War parks in the US
- Visit all the Presidential libraries in the U.S.
- Take every cruise available worldwide
- Sail around the world
- Sky dive
- Bungee jump
- Zip line
- Walk the Appalachian Trail
- Scuba dive in specific locations
- Visit all theme parks in the U.S.
- Go on an African safari
- Train and run a marathon (or perhaps aim for the Boston Marathon)
- Bike to ___________
- Train and participate in a triathlon
- Play golf at Pebble Beach (or Pinehurst)
- Ride a motorcycle across the country
- Participate in classic car shows or tour
- Drive a race car
Share YOUR fun goals! For help identifying and executing these fun goals, schedule a meeting by clicking below, contact Joni Lindquist –firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (913) 345-1881.